Sunday, November 23, 2014

Los Angeles Adventures



I'm extremely pleased to announce that the play I worked on at the Goodman Theatre in Chicago last winter, 'Luna Gale' is going up at the Kirk Douglas Theatre in Los Angeles! If you happen to be in town, tix are on sale, and previews start tonight!

It's an absolutely amazing script by Rebecca Gilman, directed by the totally tubular Bob Falls, and I'm thrilled to be reunited with the entire original Chicago cast.

People ask me what it's about, and I'm terrible at summaries, but this video they put together really gets at the heart of it:


I'm going to be walking out the door to go do our first preview in less than an hour - what a strange feeling! We did the play for over a month when it was at the Goodman last winter, and we've had three weeks (2 in Chicago, and 1 here in LA) to get it back on it's feet, so I think it is definitely ready for this first preview audience. I'm so proud of the play, and I'm so proud to be working with all these brilliant people, I really am having a wonderful time, but it's a demanding and complicated play - these last few hours before curtain are like looking down at whitewater rapids just before pushing your raft into the water.

But, backing up a little....

FIRST, before I left NY, I had to pack up a bunch of blocks for me to sew while I'm away! I brought my entire thread collection... I'm picky about colors. :)

packing blocks for LA
I won't be back in NYC (where all my supplies and stash is) until the beginning of January - I designed, cut, and packed up 18 blocks - all ready for piecing - I think that will be plenty! So many sandwich bags!

THEN, I got on a plane and flew away from NYC...

TTFN NYC!
Next stop was Chicago, where we rehearsed for 2 weeks.

OMW to rehearsal, back at the Good ol' Goodman
So great to be reunited with the team - these people are amazing! (Yes, I do get paid every time I use the word 'amazing'.)

Lunch with the cast (counter-clockwise from L): Jordan Baker, Colin Sphar, Richard Theiriot, Melissa DuPrey (picture-taker front and center), Erik Hellman, me, and Mary Beth Fisher
THEN, we got on a plane, and flew to ridiculous Southern California

ridiculous LA - Marina del Rey
While everyone I know is freezing their fingers off in NY and Chicago, we're parading around in shorts. (Actually, I failed to pack shorts because the idea of shorts in November... I just didn't believe.)

obligatory selfie at the beach
We're staying at these apartments that are literally 5 minutes (walking) to the beach... and this is what the walk looks like...

going to catch sunset at the pier
Our venue, the Kirk Douglas Theatre, used to be an old movie theatre! Check out how cool it looks!

Kirk Douglas Theatre
Check out the adorable box office out front!

Kirk Douglas old school box office
And it lights up like some sort of magical ice palace at night... I'll get more pictures of it's nighttime look soon.

Kirk Douglas by night - our amazing director, Bob Falls took this picture.
Bringing it all back to quilting..
I've been so busy with all the traveling and rehearsal and whatnot, I've so far only completed 1 of the 18 blocks that I've packed.

New block: Appropriately sunshiny colors for my first week in California!
So, now it's getting to be about time for me to walk out the door and go do this crazy show!
(I always like to be way early.)

Wish me broken legs!
And thanks for reading!

All the best,
Reyna

2 comments:

  1. Break your legs, my legs, everybody's legs - feel like I'm right there with you reading this and never mind everyone and everything else being amazing - you are too. - Chris :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks yo!
    Miss all you guys back in NYC! <3

    ReplyDelete