Friday, September 8, 2017

Celebrating 51 Years of Star Trek

Today is the 51st Anniversary
of the Very First Episode of Star Trek!
Congratulations to the host of artists
who have contributed to this adventure
for the last half-century. 

Last year, to celebrate the 50th anniversary, I got a tattoo on my wrist of good ol' NCC-1701,
but it's so teeny it's hard to photograph.

This year, I made these blocks!!!




Anyone who's known me for more than a half an hour knows that I'm a pretty serious Trekkie. (I have double majors in TNG and TOS, with a minor in VOY. I am proficient with DS9, but it's an area I'm working on. Sooner or later I will get to ENT, and I'M ENTIRELY BESIDE MYSELF WITH EXCITEMENT ABOUT DISCOVERY!)

Star Trek has been a source of inspiration, and comfort, and fun for me since before I can remember, and making these blocks was a total delight.


When I finished piecing the block in the original classic-looking colorway (above with the whites and blues), I decided that I had gone invested too much time and energy to stop there, and a 2nd colorway just had to happen. This one should actually fit into the "2 Palette" quilt I started in 2014.

Rainbow colorway!
These tiny pieces are crazy even for me.



(the one to the left of the dime - it's so teeny you might miss it)
I love this total mess on the back! 


Weirdly, my Star Trek fabric stash is not as impressive as you might think - I'm actually really selective in this department.


As always, thanks for reading!
Happy Star Trek Anniversary, and Live Long and Prosper!
-Reyna de Courcy




3 comments:

  1. I would love to make this. Could you share the pattern? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your work,your colors .. straight skill amazing! I know you did this awhile back , just came across pinterest... I see you used a self made pattern. . If you have a pattern now I would love to buy it . Let me know ... thank you

    ReplyDelete