Saturday, July 19, 2014

Karen Nyberg, Ultimate Hero (also: my own personal Space Race)

First of all, in case you're totally out of the loop, and don't know about Karen Nyberg yet, let me fill you in rull quick:
She's an astronaut! AND... a quilter!!
So basically I file her under "Ultimate Hero" in my book.
(I love space exploration so much it hurts!)

During her time onboard the International Space Station, she hand-pieced a star block, and now she's invited all of us (that means YOU) to send in our own star-themed blocks to be combined with hers into one big global community space quilt!

I'm SO excited!

The completed quilt will be displayed at the 40th Annual International Quilt Festival 2014.

The MUST WATCH video:


Okay!

You will notice that the deadline for entry is on August 1st, so I'm really posting about this VERY late. But it is not too late! Drop everything and get sewing!!

Even I will be cutting it very close. Despite the fact that I've had this project on my calendar for 6 months, as with everything, I will be scrambling to get it done at the last minute.

To be fair, I've done a lot of brainstorming and drafting in all that time! And perhaps having had all this time to brainstorm and draft is what has gotten me into trouble, because I have dreamed up a quite complicated 9 inches. I might be in over my head, and the clock is ticking!
It is my own personal Space Race, and so far, I've enjoyed every minute!!!

Here's a look at what I'm dealing with:

Ms Nyberg is certainly right about zip lock bags! So far, my nine-inch block involves twelve of them, and I'm not even in space!
Tiny stars... :)
Get sewing!
Thanks for reading!
-Reyna



1 comment: